SUI GENERIS punk rock bike shop home-brew art/craft love

Status change

Originally I was hoping to move across the country to law school on one of the coasts, but this is decreasingly a preferable outcome. For one thing, there's my wife's new graphic design gig, which she would lose if we moved out of state. More pressing is the elapsing of time which is narrowing our ability to make the neccessary arrangements for moving away. The day will soon come when it is no longer feasible to drop everything and find a new apartment and rent a truck and haul ourselves to a new city. Yesterday I realized that Minnesota is looking better and better. It is pulling further ahead of the pack.

But it's not too late for the waitlist schools to come through. Nor Georgia, where "[my] application for admission has entered the committee review process. This process usually takes several weeks." I believe they said the same thing when I last checked, several months ago. I don't understand how any school can wait this long to make admissions decisions. It doesn't seem very prudent, unless they're waiting for the borderline cases to drop off before sending out letters.

Yet it seems that if they're at all interested in an applicant, they should throw him a bone. Otherwise, everyone with an offer elsewhere will figure that Georgia is a lost cause and send in their seat deposits. Thus, the better students (who had an interest in Georgia, and might have waited for a decision if they were on a waitlist or deferred) are lost, and Georgia is stuck with those losers who couldn't get in to another school.

Can someone explain this to me? I don't get how this is good for Georgia. But it looks like a system that is highly favorable to students in my situation.

Categories: law school

3 comments:

stag said...

I can't explain it, but I can bitch about it. I have five apps still pending. They include the schools I originally considered as Choices #1 & 2, and based on my numbers I think that at 2 of these schools I have a slim chance of getting in, at 2 I have a pretty good chance of getting in, and at one I'm in, however I have yet to hear from any of them. These five schools include my original Choice #1 & 2 which I applied to in October. I have now decided I'm attending Choice #3 for sure. At this point, I think it's just plain crappy that these schools haven't gotten back to me. They know damn well that seat deposits are being paid.

Anyway, somehow it all works out. I'm feeling that Choice #3 is the best for me anyway, but had I been accepted to Choice #1 or 2 earlier in the game, I wouldn't have even considered #3. If either of them accepts me now, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't attend either school. Your situation will work out too.

sui generis said...

It's funny how things work out, isn't it? I can't afford to be picky, but I would be irked in your situation.

Taco John said...

The school is either a) swamped and undermanned, thus making it impossible to get through applicants or b) doesn't want to send out waitlist letters. At this point in the game, I think being put on a waitlist is more likely to look like a rejection, and thus causing applicants to look at other schools. So I would take it as being on the unofficial waitlist, and when they see who sent in seat deposits, then you should hear back.