SUI GENERIS punk rock bike shop home-brew art/craft love

Deep breaths

I've been super busy at work. I'm pretty sure I just got transferred to the Collections department. Interesting. I'm very amped about the interview tomorrow, and by amped I mean so anxious that I'm getting almost sick to my stomach. I should have done this months ago, and I feel woefully underprepared. Showing up is half the battle.

After the chat, I've arranged to sit in on a class (Con Law) so I'll post my impressions of that as well. Plus I'm going on a self-guided tour, which is as exciting as I want it to be, and I think the fun will include some photos of the campus. It will be a good day for blogging, if nothing else.

I'll be okay. The only thing I'm struggling with is a couple of closing questions for the dean. It's tough to come up with something that displays my interest and enthusiasm for the school but I couldn't just look up somewhere, or make it sound like I'm reading back the latest press release. One last time: any suggestions would be lovely.

Thanks kids.

2 comments:

stag said...

You could ask about scholarships for continuing students and how they are awarded. You could ask about how involved the school is in community service activities (I've seen some schools where it's required, and some where it's not but scholarships are based on it). You could ask about job placement. Or how their loan forgiveness program works. How competitive are they are.

I'd try to keep the questions related and focused. Like maybe: I'm not sure what I want to do, but I'm considering public interest work and therefore am concerned about debt and am interested in the school's scholarship practices for continuing students...? Loan forgiveness...?

Whatever they say about scholarships might lead to a question on competitiveness. I mean, if everybody gets a small scholarship contingent on keeping a certain GPA, it may be more cut throat, but then it also could mean you have a better shot at a scholarship than if only a couple of people get full tuition.

Or you could get into job placement opportunities and locations. For that I would research the answers first and then ask the questions fishing for the answers you're expecting. Like: I'm interested in working in [whatever region or practice field] after school. Are there many opportunities there offered to graduates? And when they say yes, you point out how great of a fit this school is. And they will tell you how great their opportunities are.

Just go with what you're comfortable talking about and whatever flows after your conversation.

Can you tell part of my job is consulting? Can't wait to hear how it goes!

CM said...

Oh. I'm too late. But I hope you're kicking ass right now. (Just not literally. That would be ill-advised.)