SUI GENERIS punk rock bike shop home-brew art/craft love

Crushed can art

This morning I read an article about painting on smashed aluminum cans. Using recycled materials in art is always a nifty idea. You can see a bunch of Rik Catlow's paintings in this Flickr photoset. Graffiti artist Buff Monster really brings the concept full-circle by using flattened spray paint cans as his canvas.

So anyway, in the article Rik Catlow gives instructions on technique, materials, and even his favorite method of flattening the cans. "That's cool," I thought. "I would like to try doing some Darumas in that style." Then on my way home from work, I picked up four cans from the street, and they were already squashed totally flat for me. How perfect is that?

1 comment:

Jhenn said...

This is amazing! i love the stuff you get into!