SUI GENERIS punk rock bike shop home-brew art/craft love

Better than bad, it's good!


Everyone wants a log! This Christmas, J gave me one of my very own. It rolls down stairs, alone or in pairs; rolls over the neighbor's dog. But that is not all this log can do, because it is not just your standard-issue log. It has all the options. It is a log that has been packed to the bark full of Shiitake mushroom mycelia!

That's right--it is a mushroom fruiting log. I didn't ask for one, but my wife knew I would like it because I like growing things and I like to eat mushrooms. What could be better than a log that produces a crop every two months for years and years? I stuck it in our garden snow to shock the mycelia into fruiting. In 1-3 days, little white nubs will start to break through the bark, and after a week my log will have produced a "flush" of fresh, clean, delicious mushrooms. It's the gift that keeps on giving!

1 comment:

drvono said...

That is ridiculously cool.