SUI GENERIS punk rock bike shop home-brew art/craft love

The speed of life

Life is going so fast! Seems all my friends are getting married, having babies, buying houses, and moving all over the world. Sometimes when I look at all the activity around me, I feel that I have stagnated, but I am traveling along with J at our own velocity.

Biking helps me to slow down a little and consider my priorities from a position of detachment with my circumstances. When I was in Japan, one of my favorite pastimes was simply walking from one place to another, especially the daily one-hour journey to and from the University. This structured time with nothing to do but think allowed me to sort a lot of new (and some old) ideas that sparked an ongoing revolution in my life in which bicycle commuting has been the most recent development.

It's easy to get caught up in the inertia of living day-to-day and get swept along the same path. Maybe everything in your life is just the way it should be, but imperfections have a way of sneaking into the fabric of life over time. We all need something to shake us up now and then before we can see the spots that need mending.

Categories: life, bicycles

No comments: