SUI GENERIS punk rock bike shop home-brew art/craft love

I could fry an egg

Still riding one way and driving the other to work and back, even though I wanted to try cutting out the car this week. Trouble was that J's car broke down on Tuesday and I had to drive over to pick her up, so that destroyed my plan. Besides, it's been so hot lately that I'm not totally amped about biking in the afternoons, knowing I'll be dripping like a sweat mop when I get home... but I get out and do it and love it.

Riding in the mornings is sheer bliss with the light traffic, perfect weather (hovering around 80 the last couple of weeks), and friendly forest creatures still hopping around. Riding home in the afternoons is much harder. Belligerent drivers and the HOT (~100 degrees!) air make up a cocktail of extreme sucktitude sometimes. Still, I wouldn't trade it for the air-conditioned car ride.

I like the morning ride because it's fun. I like the evening ride because it's difficult. Jockeying with drivers, learning to ride aggressively and take control of the road, gasping for air and water, pushing through the crap parts when I want to stop, stopping at the beautiful parts when I really hurt and walking it off and spitting and getting back on when I can just breathe again. I don't know if it makes me feel tuff or cool but it makes me feel alive. Is that sick or what?

Categories: bicycles

1 comment:

Nathan said...

"I'm not totally amped about biking in the afternoons, knowing I'll be dripping like a sweat mop when I get home... but I get out and do it and love it."

Yes! It's been a while since I just didn't feel like riding so I suspect my mind's figured it out and stopped giving me a hard time about getting out and riding no matter what.