SUI GENERIS punk rock bike shop home-brew art/craft love

Not my finest moment

A driver yelled something at me the other day, and I yelled something back. I get so tired of being harassed on my afternoon rides that I just want to snap sometimes, but that's no excuse for sinking to their level. I try to hold myself to a higher standard. But, hmmm, which advice do I follow?

Proverbs 26:4 Do not answer a fool according to his folly,
or you will be like him yourself.
or:
Proverbs 26:5 Answer a fool according to his folly,
or he will be wise in his own eyes.

3 comments:

kmsqrd said...

Doesn't make much sense does it? I looked it up via the Bible Gateway and found the CEV to make more sense.

Proverbs 26:4-5 (Contemporary English Version)"Don't make a fool of yourself by answering a fool. But if you answer any fools, show how foolish they are so they won't feel smart."

Sui Generis said...

Same basic contradiction, though. "Don't do it, but if you do..." The writer of this proverb brilliantly provides for exceptions to the rule.

The first verse affirms the wisdom of keeping our mouth shut, which many people recognize but few people can follow. The second verse is advice for the rest of us.

CM said...

I gave someone the finger on the road once, and he started screaming at me and honking, and tailgated me until I turned off that street. I learned my lesson pretty quick.