SUI GENERIS punk rock bike shop home-brew art/craft love

When it rains, it pours

Everything happened on this morning's commute. Usually my morning rides are very uneventful. Today I left a few minutes early and my trip was action-packed!

It started out with the uncanny brightness. It's been so dark lately that I checked my watch to make sure I hadn't accidentally set the alarm for 7 instead of 6. Sure enough, it was just really light out. There were people all up and about on streets that are always dead and quiet. Car alarms were going off, the lids were left off of water pipes in the street, it was madness!

Then the bike trouble started. I threw my chain way out over the front cogs, so I had to break a link to get it back together. I did it the stupid way. It felt like it took about ten or fifteen minutes to finish and my fingers were solid black with grease by the time I was done. Good thing I lubed and cleaned the chain last night! Once I finished, I rode another few miles through some torn-up construction zone streets and got a front flat. I rode as far as I could while it slowly leaked and dismounted later than I should have and turned the corner and walked the last half-mile to work, enjoying the beautiful weather and the clear blue skies.

Categories: bicycles

No comments: