SUI GENERIS punk rock bike shop home-brew art/craft love

Taste Sensation

Two of our best friends stopped by for dinner last night on their way from Wisconsin to their new home in Seattle. To celebrate, we went out to the awesome Sakura restaurant in St. Paul. I realized that we had lived "in the city" for over two months and never made it to this part of downtown in all that time. I'm a fraud.

When I was in Japan, my favorite soft drink was a bizarre milky-sweet soda called Calpis. I attempted in vain to find this delicious concoction when I returned to the States. After combing all the Asian food marts in Minnesota, I gave up hope of ever drinking it again. There didn't even seem to be anyone who sold it online. I stocked up during a visit to Uwajimaya in Seattle, but my supply quickly ran dry and I was back in Calpis-less MN.

I was sad. That is, until a friend took me to dinner at Sakura and we discovered that they serve Calpis. Just a sip and it brings me back to Japan. It's crazy how a little thing can bring back the memories: smelling incense, hearing a certain ringtone, looking at photos, feeling the texture of a treasured object. For me, the taste of Calpis is a strong trigger. Maybe it's a good thing that I drink it only rarely. Too often and the effect would be dulled. This way keeps the memories strong and fresh. As long as I have these things to remind me, I will never forget.

Categories: life

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cow piss? what a funny name for milk. >^..^<