SUI GENERIS punk rock bike shop home-brew art/craft love

It's the knit!



I'm making socks! I picked up the double-pointed needles again and this time was determined to master knitting in the round. Once again, I felt like I was wrestling the needles and getting nothing but poked in return. While I struggled to get started, my wife completed a very nice little bag. I was getting frustrated. But after a few rounds, I had a breakthrough.

In Knitting For Anarchists, Anna Zilboorg writes about how clever our hands can be if we allow them to do things beside smashing keyboards all day long. Sure enough, without even having to think about it, my fingers eventually learned where to move the needles on their own. Before I knew it, I was knitting in the round--if not like a pro, at least not like a rank amateur.

Learning new skills and making different objects is one of the great things about knitting. When I started to knit, I said I would be happy if I could make a pair of socks, and I'm well on my way. I thought I might need to knit for a long time before I could tackle this project, but with my friend taking on a sweater, I decided I could handle it. I only need to work the heel and foot and I'll be done with my first sock!

Tags:

No comments: