SUI GENERIS punk rock bike shop home-brew art/craft love

Sui Generis book club #7

How to Want What You Have: discovering the magic and grandeur of ordinary existence, by Timothy Miller, Ph.D.

This here's a book on contentment and simplicity. I thought it was pretty good. I disagreed with some of the assertions and claims in this book, but there were enough great quotes and interesting ideas to make it worthwhile. It's a quick enough read that I can recommend it wholeheartedly to anyone who's interested in this kind of thing.

Personally, I felt like it was retreading a lot of ground that I've covered before, but that's not a bad thing either. There are some things that we need to be reminded about over and over. Did I get anything new out of it? Yeah, I think so. Just the fact that I was reading about it and thinking about living in the present was enough to make me put down the book for an hour to call an old friend and then go outside for a walk in the snow to look at the full moon. I'd say I got my money's worth.

No comments: