SUI GENERIS punk rock bike shop home-brew art/craft love

Sui Generis book club #3

A Series of Unfortunate Events

I heard the buzz on these books before the movie was announced, but didn't get around to actually reading them till now. I got The Bad Beginning for Christmas, and my first thought was, "I can't believe this cost $11.99." It is a very small book. I liked it, though, which means I'll probably have to read the rest of them. My favorite passage was about halfway through:

But one type of book that practically no one likes to read is a book about the
law. Books about the law are notorious for being very long, very dull, and
very difficult to read. This is one reason many lawyers make heaps of
money.

Very clever. More than anything, this book reminded me of Roald Dahl's short stories. The best part is that you could read the entire series in a matter of hours. This novel was good enough to make me want to read more, but I'm going to get the rest of the books from the library.

No comments: